China's telecommunications industry is dominated by three companies, China Mobile Ltd (NYSE: CHL, HKG: 0941), China Unicom Ltd (NYSE: CHU, SHA: 600050, HKG: 0762) and China Telecom Corp (NYSE: CHA, HKG: 0728), with the first two focused on mobile services and the third on landline and broadband services.
- Investment in the telecommunications industry grew 14.2% to ¥319.7 billion;
- Telecom fees fell 11.7%, two percentage points faster than in 2009;
- Total telephone users grew 8.7% to 1.15 billion in number;
- Mobile service users grew 14.9% to 859 million in number;
- 3G service users grew by 34.73 million to 47.05 million in number;
- Telecommunications revenue grew 6.4% to ¥898.8 billion, including ¥628.2 billion from mobile services that was up 11.2%;
- Netizens grew by 73 million to 457 million in number, including 450 million broadband users that increased by 104 million;
- Mobile Internet users grew by 69 million to 303 million in number.
In 2010, China Mobile attracted 61.73 million customers, accounting for 53% of all new customers and taking the total number of its customers to 584 million; China Mobile's profit was six times China Unicom and China Telecom combined. However, China Unicom and China Telecom are catching up in the 3G services market as China Unicom is currently the only authorized iPhone seller in mainland China while China Telecom uses cheaper handsets and service packages to lure customers.
The top five non-big three, mainland-listed telecommunications companies by market value are
- ZTE Corp (SHE: 000063, HKG: 0763), a telecoms equipment maker based in Shenzhen, Guangdong
- Aisino Co (SHA: 600271), a developer of information security technologies based in Beijing
- Citic Guoan Information Industry Co (SHE: 000839), an information network infrastructure constructor and information service provider based in Beijing
- Shenzhen Aisidi Co (SHE: 002416), a provider of agent distribution services of mobile phones and digital electronic products based in Shenzhen, Guangdong
- Fiberhome Telecommunication Technologies Co (SHA: 600498), a manufacturer and distributor of communication equipment and the provider of network solutions based in Wuhan, Hubei